Friday, September 23, 2011

Starved for Contact

Embarking on this journey is unbelievably exciting from a theoretical standpoint, but from a technical perspective, it is terrifying. Where in the world do I begin? I don't have a role-Dex filled with food authors to contact at my leisure, nor is there a section in a phone book that is labeled under food authors for me to scroll through, picking and choosing whom I'd like to interview and interrogate. So where in the heck do I start?

Well, as a true product of my society, the first place I begin is Twitter. Yes, instead of looking for any realistic options, I begin by tweeting to world renown chefs and authors hoping that my cutesy nick-name and clever 140 character quips will catch their attention and inspire them to write back to another fanatic stranger. Needless to say, this fails, so in an equally age-typical effort, the next thing I do is use Google to search for food writers in my local area. To my surprise I actually hit a jack-pot of a page! Turns out someone has been writing about food and making a website dedicated to the local latest and greatest of eats. But as luck should have it, it hasn't been maintained after 2009.

Finally a bit of wisdom is bestowed upon me, and I am recommended to a local restaurant where a former food writer now works. Hallelujah! A bone is thrown my way and with some luck I may just get to meet this person and pick her brain. So I use the best means of non-intrusive communication I know: Facebook. Okay, so it isn't the most reliable source for contact but I can hardly think of another way to contact someone without using their phone number that wouldn't creep them out completely and give them some sense of privacy.

Well it's been a short while but I haven't received a response. Forget it. Nobody wants to talk to a student writing a silly blog about food writing and what it takes to be good at it. Not yet at least. I may borderline harass people until someone gives up some information on what I've got to do to break into the biz but I'm okay with that. I'm just a student after all, wide eyed and drooling for someone to contact me, and at the very least give me a response!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    It's okay to rely on the "page" first and foremost. Read what these writers write, and use and apply their wisdom. Analyze their style, dissecting their words for common attributes, strategies, etc. What do they say about food (and cooking)? But also: HOW do they write about food? I think it will help too if you try clarifying the purpose for your blog/research. I see much potential here! And I like that you acknowledge your non-traditional research methods and frustrations.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews