Sunday, October 9, 2011

Slow Roasted Torture

But writing about sights and sounds and flavors that might otherwise be described as orgiastic-and doing it in a way that is calculated to inspire prurient interest, lust and envy in others... that raises more questions in my mind as to ... I don't know... the moral dimension.
Sitting here, choosing words, letter by letter, on the keyboard with the explicit intention of telling you about something I did or something I ate and making you as hungry and miserable as I can--surely that's wrong.
But fuck it.
-Anthony Bourdain, Medium Raw
I want to torture foodies with words too. In reality it isn't a torture to them, because they ask for it. I know, because I am one of them. We willingly turn on the television hoping someone is making an impossibly difficult food all the while telling us about how good it smells, knowing that we are watching, writhing with the urge to re-create every delicious meal we've witnessed.

Bourdain wrote a chapter called "So you wanna be a chef". In it he reminds us that the outcomes are not commonly those of Food Network stardom or even high-end success. Meanwhile he encourages those willing to endure a life of mediocre, under-paid, indistinct work in a kitchen with no name, to run the gambit and take the chance.

But what if I don't want to even be in the kitchen? I JUST WANT TO TASTE AND WRITE ABOUT FOOD. In the chapter, he goes on to encourage those who might want to join the cult and drink the Kool-aid to just take the initiative and go for it; if you have the chance, travel. Make friends with people who know their craft, learn everything you can about food, and if you should do desire, go to cooking school.

Finally! Some direction. Turns out I've already started doing all these things--sorta--instead of going to cooking school I chose a four year institution(I'm a late bloomer). And although I haven't wistfully traveled the world yet, I will. It's all an uncertain path, and I can only plan as far ahead as time allows, but after being discouraged about not having any direction to take I am revived with these words.

While taking on this journey towards understanding what it takes to become a good food writer, initially I am humbled and feel foolish for considering that I may be worthy of becoming someone people might want to listen to someday. But then I read words like the quote by Bourdain above, and instantly my spirits are lifted again. It won't be an easy journey, but regardless, I can't wait to slow-torture foodies with tales of my edible adventures. For now I'll just continue to sharpen my knives. I mean skills.

1 comment:

  1. what great writing! I was very intrigued to read what more you had to say about the foodie world! Very captivating right from the get-go! This has very Jessica style of writing as Brandy would say! I would suggest for next time adding a little more depth to your posts, I would have liked to read more about your thoughts and goals!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews